2.23.2013

boundaries

Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.” ― Edsger W. Dijkstra 


The creation of jewelry has several unique aspects that differentiate it from any other art form:

  • It has only one function- to be decorative. Decoration is as personal and varied as an individual's imagination can be. 
  • Jewelry is an ornament that makes our appearance complete, and fills it with our own character and uniqueness. 
  • Jewelry can be as freely experimental as any other art form but, in my opinion more than other art forms, it must have an underlying foundation of craftsmanship to be completely valid. 
This combination of factors creates a need to not only invent and explore images that are appealing to the eye, but also requires a mastery and knowledge of various techniques in order to bring concepts into reality. 

When I started making jewelry full time I became deeply engaged in an attempt to raise my quality standards and have been forced to perform at the boundary of my abilities. The techniques and materials available to me seem to constantly expand which has resulted in a body of information similar to a science. The task of improving my abilities seems to come only through experience, effort and time. I am on a difficult path and loving every minute of it. I will be trying to put into words as clearly as possible the methods I learn and implement. Try and bear with me as I attempt to describe the actions of hand and mind used in the design and creation of the jewelry I make. 

Photo taken after soldering infinity piece to ring portion.
Second attempt at an Infinity Ring. 50% complete.

I urge you to comment, inquire, challenge, disagree or compliment anything you read or see on this site. Conversations about my experiences help me immensely and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have. I will try my best to post content that is interesting, informative and unique. Thanks for reading and I hope you check back soon!

-Bud 

(If you made it this far feel free to check out my Etsy shop: SimplySilver and look around)

 “Bottom line is, even if you see 'em coming, you're not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does. So what are we, helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come. You can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.” ―Joss Whedon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!